View Single Post
Old March 16, 2008, 09:58 PM   #4
Sportdog

I'm no expert by any stretch but the need for these premium bullets is way more than you need. In fact I think that you would get the same or better results with Remington 150 Grain Corelokts or Winchester Power Points in factory ammo and if you are handloading Hornady 150 or 165 grain PSP or Speer 150 or 165 grain Hot Cor will get it done very nicely. Deer ammo calls for fairly rapid expanding bullets, not the controlled expanding ones that you list unless you plan on shooting them in the "south" end. Don't get me wrong. Those premium bullets will get it done but the quicker expanding and less expensive bullets will result in quicker kills. The quickest kills on deer that I ever had were 100 grain .243 Hornady Pointed Soft Points. One of these deer was a quartering away shot, high in the lungs, and that buck hit the ground without so much as a quiver. Another was a straight on chest shot and that buck dropped, kicked twice and was gone. Neither of these bullets exited and made an awful mess inside the chest cavity. The quartering round was found just under the hide on the far side and the head on shot round was buried in the bucks diaphram. Just my two cents and you got it for free!

Page generated in 0.02484 seconds with 8 queries