View Single Post
Old November 1, 2012, 06:29 AM   #19
highpower3006

Boy I hate to step into a hornets nest, but I'm going to anyway.

I have been shooting and collecting the venerable '03 for almost thirty years now and I have a few observations I'd like to present.

First off, the decision to shoot or not to shoot these rifles should be based on the risk assessment of just how dangerous they are to shoot. The actual number of receivers that failed is miniscule compared to the numbers produced. The fact that the Marine Corps used their low number Springfields until they were replaced with Garands in WWII should tell us that there was a low risk of one failing.

But.... when they do fail, it is very likely going to be a catastrophic event that could very well result in the shooter being severely injured. Are you, as the person shooting the rifle, willing to risk it?

Most people that do shoot their low number '03's recommend using ammo that has been loaded down a bit from factory levels. I have heard people say to those that don't handload say to stick with factory loaded ammo with 150 grain bullets or lighter to avoid higher pressure ammo.

I have low number '03's in my collection that are original that are probably on their third or fourth barrel and, as they haven't yet exploded, I assume that they have been safely fired by military personnel for many years.

I, personally, only shoot my low number rifles occasionally, and then only with very mild cast bullet loads. If I want to shoot high powered loads, I use one of my high number guns.

As to your rifle, here are my observations:

The rear sight is not welded to the receiver. There is some crud at the junction of the sight base and the receiver that makes it look like it might have been welded of silver soldered, but I think that it is attached to the in the usual manner and has two screws holding it on.

Hunting rifles are typically shot very little, so it likely has had few rounds fired through it since the conversion and therefore is no real test as to how "safe" it is.

Since it has a low number receiver, the only real value in it is as a parts gun If the receiver itself had not been drilled ad tapped for the rear sight, it would have some value, but now that part of it is virtually worthless. If I owned it, I would split it up and sell the pieces which would probably fetch somewhere between $200 to $300, maybe more if you get lucky.

Sorry for the the bad news, but at this point it is what it is.

Page generated in 0.05391 seconds with 8 queries