View Single Post
Old September 3, 1999, 11:48 PM   #1
Long Path

This topic sprang from Sambonatur's topic on .50 BMG hunting, and it got me to thinking: "Long Range" is a different thing to each hunter. To a PH in Africa who leads hunts for Cape Buff, Long Range may be 120 yards. To a mountain goat hunter in Montana, that range might start at 450 yards. To an E. Texas piney woods hunter with a M. 94 .30-30, that range might be 80 yards, but to the shotgun deer hunter in the Florida swamps, 40 yards may be "long range."

Near as I can tell, range factors for the inteligent hunter include: rifle, load, caliber, sights, terrain, visibility, target size, target movement, wind, availability of a rest, and perceived self-confidence. (I think "experience" falls in there...)

There may be more. Given what and where you shoot, what's your definition of "A Long Range Shot"? Why? What are you using, and what are you using it on?

For me, the answer is "450 Yards." I'm shooting a 300 Win Mag Sendero with a 180g Game King at 3100 fps at the muzzle. Why do I consider that figure long range? Because (a) Things start to drop quick beyond 400 yards, and (b) It's quite difficult to accurately estimate range at distances beyond a quarter mile. I take this rifle elk hunting, but never have gotten to shoot one with it. I've shot 3 deer with it, but, as occasion would have it, the longest shot was less than 110 yards. I hunt deer from hilly outcroppings in the SW Hill Country of Texas, and regularly see deer at 600 yards, but I'm not shooting that far. At 500, I'd have to think about it, and would have to have a ROCK STEADY rest. These animals are small, and I'd say the kill zone is about 9".

Your turn!

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited September 04, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03049 seconds with 8 queries