View Single Post
Old August 24, 2001, 08:00 AM   #14
Covert Mission

Temp,

The Sig is an outstanding pistol, and I say that as someone who carries and shoots a Glock 19. There are few handguns made which equal the Sig in terms of ergonomic feel, imo... it just feels great in my hand. Why don't I carry/shoot one (and it would be the 229)? I am a lefty, and the Sig, with its lack of an ambi de-cocker, just isn't very lefty-friendly. Makes me sad Boo hoo! I would definitely own one otherwise. Glocks? Some people hate plastic guns, but not me. I love 1911's too... apples and oranges.

Is the Sig perfect? I'm list my personal pluses and minuses of it and the Glock:

FEEL
--Sig: Better ergonomics. Just feels great
--Glock: I'm used to it... not bad, though

ACCURACY
--Sig: More accurate for sure, individually and gun-to-gun
--Glock: combat accurate. Some are more accurate than others, even among the same model/caliber. Not sure why. Not a bullseye gun, but that's a given. Accurate enough.

RELIABILITY:
--Glocks are hard to beat. Simple design, fewer parts ( i keeps spare parts handy), easily maintained by owner, and an armorer in every zip code, it seems. Of course they break (everything does), but when they do, it's usually easily solved.
--SIGs: Very well made and reliable, but don't stand up to extreme use like the Glock, imo. Sure the SEALs use them, but they have their own spare guns, parts, and armorers, and they don't pay for them out of their own pockets! Not many Sig factory armorers... my DEA friend was shipping his Sig 220 to Connecticut every 3 mos (he shoots about 1-2k rounds/month). If I were going to shoot 10,000 rounds a year through it, I'd buy two, and rotate them.

RECOIL
--Glock: the lower bore axis means less muzzle flip, imo with the Glock. I like that
--SIG: higher bore axis, more muzzle flip

TRIGGER
-- SIG: Great trigger for a DA/SA, which I don't prefer. Teddy Jacobsen of Actions by T in TX can make it even better. You can get used to it, and of course on SA it's great. Too bad Sig doesn't make a "cocked and locked" model.
--Glock: I'm used to it. Not perfect, and some hate it, but I like the shot-to-shot consistency of the pull. Can be smoothed out w/polishing. The 3.5# is even better, but not for carry (I use the 5#)

FINISH
--Glock's Tenifer finish is about the best out there, other than hard chrome
--SIG: not as durable. You could get the nickel, which isn't bad. Not sure if you could chrome it, but maybe Black-T is an option. Anyone here know?

Shoot them both, and make your choice. You can't go wrong either way. Good luck.

Page generated in 0.02275 seconds with 8 queries