View Single Post
Old December 14, 2013, 01:03 PM   #56
zombietactics

Quote:
... Recall during a card game two (cheating) desperados pulled their guns on Wyatt Earp, but before their guns could clear leather, Earp's gun was out. Doc Holliday (who witnessed the incident) said Earp's draw was so fast that he could not follow it with the eye. No video link tho, sadly, no CCTV back then.
Source ... other than "old west tales"? With genuine respect, I've tried to find an actual historian who even takes the notion seriously. No luck yet. If it happened, it was rare as hen's teeth. For those with the time and inclination, I can recommend serious books and peer-reviewed papers.

And seriously, my argument is not against the utility of solid skills. In the three earlier linked videos, for instance, I did not see especially speedy presentations, but rather solid fundamentals applied well. I saw no "quick draw" maneuvers. Maybe we are missing each other over terminology.

Rather, my suggestion is that there is far more to the equation than "oooh he's dead-eye fast!". The earlier video with the hotel clerk is an apt example, not of a quick draw, but of a cool head and good tactics.

There is nothing wrong, and a lot right with gaining a fair amount of speed. It just should not be the sole metric of self-defense skill, nor will it likely be the determiner of a trip home vs. a trip to the morgue.

Last edited by zombietactics; December 14, 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.02688 seconds with 8 queries