View Single Post
Old December 29, 2011, 05:52 PM   #18
Alaska444

For a medical student, this could be disaster for a career in medicine dependent on state licensing. Even a misdemeanor could end her career let alone a felony gun charge. Tragic.

I am hopeful that someone will choose to let her go with a fine. When I had graduated medical school and started my residency, I went to a Halloween part by the deputy chief of our department. I drank three or four beers all night over a 3-4 hour period of time. On the way home with three girls in halloween costumes, I was pulled over for going 50 in a 35 mph zone. The cop smelled alcohol on our breath and gave me a field sobriety test which I passed but just barely. I did the breathalizer and it came back .045%. Not a big deal for MA where I just left medical school that had a 0.1% limit, but in the state where I was at, the level was only .05%. I came within a couple of swigs of ruining my career not knowing the law.

Thankfully,the cop noted my military standing and he understood the devastating impact DUI has for an Army officer. He gave me a break and told me to go to the next 711 and get a cup of coffee before someone else pulled me over on the way home. That was one of the last times I ever drank socially. Just not worth the risk to what they can do.

The point I am trying to make is it is hard to know all of the laws going between differen states. Since there was no criminal intent, I would hope NYC will not ruin this woman's career. After all, how many serious mistakes have folks made that they were never caught that would have had serious impacts on the future? Compassion is the operative word. Fine and drop charges is of course the right way to proceed. A misdemeanor ruins her career just as quickly as a felony in most states.

Page generated in 0.03666 seconds with 8 queries