View Single Post
Old September 2, 1999, 09:56 PM   #13
Long Path

I really can't find a single advantage to a pistol-grip vertical fore end. Can anyone here argue a real advantage provided by one?

All I can see are the drawbacks: bulkier, tend to rattle, tend to cause shooter to pull back on the fore end, absolutely require one single hold on the fore end, harder to fire from below the point of the hip to to grip angle, and incite people to attack it as "dangerous-looking."

Supposed benefits of (a) allows one more leverage to really rack that shotgun hard in the instance of a rough chambering, and/or (b) keeps hand from sliding out over the end of the barrel on a shorty are bogus. If your gun's so rough that you need extra leverage and a better handle to rack it, your problems will not be solved by a new fore end grip-- you need a new shotgun. 2ndly, has anyone EVER had their hand slip off the forend of their shotgun? I haven't, and I've shot a lot on sweaty days in September, afield. For the Witness Protection System 870's (see Tubbs on old Miami Vice reruns), they put a little stud sticking down, or a strap on the end to keep your hand from coming off the end, should you slip, but they have virtually no fore end on them, and the barrels are cut down even with the end of the magazine cap.

Just curious. I'll keep an open mind, though.

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited September 02, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.02977 seconds with 8 queries