View Single Post
Old October 30, 2013, 10:01 AM   #1
gaseousclay

Looking to buy my first HD shotgun

Sorry to rehash an old topic but I’m interested in purchasing my first shotgun for HD purposes. I’ve looked around and found several candidates, but I’d like for you guys to weigh in and offer your opinions.

So far I’ve looked at:

Mossberg 590A1
Mossberg 500 Tactical with tri-rail
Remington 870 Express Tactical
Remington 870 Wilson Combat
Winchester SPX Defender

Of the ones I’ve looked at the Mossberg 590A1 is at the top of my list, mainly because it’s made in the US, has the top tang safety, aluminum safety and trigger guard and has a proven track record. I want something with an 18.5” barrel and that can take a pretty good beating. I honestly don’t know enough about the other models listed to form an objective opinion. Quality matters and I’d hate to spend hundreds of dollars on a firearm that has cycling issues (or whatever). I initially wanted an all-around shotgun, like the Browning BPS, to use for HD, trap/skeet shooting and hunting. But, the longer barrel makes it impractical to use for HD imo. I think i've ruled out the Winchester SPX because I've read that it has problems cycling low brass shells (which I don't quite understand). The Remington makes me nervous because of the QC problems they've been having. Plus, the 870 Express is Remington's budget gun, so i'm afraid it'll be a cheaply made gun. The Wilson Combat version is priced out of my range so that's a no go for me too. The other contender would be the Mossberg 500 Tri-Rail, which is less expensive than the 590A1. I'm not into the tacticool thing, so the ability to upgrade the shotgun doesn't matter to me.

Again, these are just my observations based on the research i've done. If any of you own any of the above shotguns i'd like to hear your opinions and why you like yours. Thanks.

Page generated in 0.02389 seconds with 8 queries