View Single Post
Old July 24, 2013, 12:40 AM   #13
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikbal
Hello guys. My Dad just got his pistol permit and is looking to purchase his first handgun. He's owned long guns in the past, but never a pistol. He's disabled and has had multiple back surgeries, knee replacements ect. I was thinking a revolver would be good for him so he wouldn't have to worry about racking a slide (although he racked the slide on my BG .380 pretty well). He also said he would like a revolver. I am thinking something DA/SA in .357 so he can also shoot cheaper .38 as well, and the rigger will have a nice easy pull in SA. Any suggestions? I am going to head to the local gun shop and take a look and see what they have. If it weren't for the recent gun craze I would recommend a .22 for him, but ammunition for that isn't very easy to find at the moment. Also I don't think he plans on carrying, but I would like him to have something he could carry if he decided he wanted to down the road. Any and all suggestions/comments are appreciated! As usual, thanks!
I will start by saying that, for a quality revolver, a used Ruger/S&W will serve your father well. Taurus has been producing a quality product as well for a while, though most revolver fans tend to turn their noses up to them.

I think your idea about the caliber selection is wise, giving your dad variety.

HOWEVER

I feel like a broke record saying this, but do not buy your dad a gun without him telling you that's what he wants. I don't just mean him saying "I want a revolver." Let him get a feel for what's out there, and make the decison himself. Talk to friends who own some of the revolvers on your short list, and let him get a feel for the trigger/cylendar manipulations, and heft of the gun. Let him decide what feels right to him. The first pistol i bought was a Ruger Security Six, and i bought it because I wanted a revolver. I didn't know jack squat. The first INFORMED pistol i purchased was a CZ-75, I went to my local gun shops, got a feel for what I wanted, and when that CZ hit my hand, I knew it had to be mine. (Full disclosure, I ended up selling the Sec Six, kicking myself, then making another informed purchase and buying another one ) If you give him the opportunity to pick out the weapon himself, he will appreciate it that much more, from my experience.

Page generated in 0.02211 seconds with 8 queries