View Single Post
Old February 3, 2014, 09:11 PM   #15
idek

I have both a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. They are field models, but if I were to favor one for HD, I'd probably go with the Mossberg, largely because of the tang safety. I'm left-handed, so that's part of the reason.

I used to think a pump would be more reliable than a semi-auto, thinking the more complex gun would be more prone to failure. However, a pump is probably more prone to human error. I've short shucked my guns more than once when trying to shoot a quick followup shot at birds or clay target. In a stressful HD situation, I'd likely be better off with a semi-auto.

You mentioned the Mossberg 930 sxp-8. The 930 line has a reputation of being a reliable and a good value, so I'd definitely consider it if you go the semi-auto route.

Regarding stocks, I prefer a more conventional grip as opposed to a pistol grip, but that may just be personal preference. A stock adjustable for length (and maybe comb height) makes sense. A lot of people prefer shorter stocks for HD guns. Some AR style stocks are instantly adjustable for length, but these are mostly pistol grips. Magpul SGA stocks (for Remington and Mossberg pumps) uses spacers and interchangeable comb pieces to give a desired fit, and this has a more conventional grip.

Page generated in 0.03442 seconds with 8 queries