View Single Post
Old March 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #6
stubbicatt

Here is my take on your situation:

I have the 550V. It is most definitely one of my favorite rifles. It has survived many purges and culls over the years, and I always enjoy shooting it. It is heavy, and long, and not something I would wish to take hunting, for a couple reasons. First is weight and second is I prefer 243 to 308 anyways.

The neat thing about the 550V is the detachable box magazine. I bought a couple of the 10 rounders from the CZ 750, and they work *great* in this rifle. I have the walnut stock, which is a must have feature to me, though others like the plastic stocks.

The rifle is just such a high quality manufactured good, I admire it each time I shoot it.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the 550 FS in 243. Then I would get some 10 rounder magazines, one or two of them... they aren't cheap at a price somewhat north of $100 I hear these days.

If you haven't shot the 243, you really ought to. Plenty accurate, easy to load for, versatile in that you can load light bullets such as 55 grainers for prairie dogs etc., or 100 grainers for deer or even elk, and there are bullets somewhere in that spectrum that will fit your needs. The FS has iron sights which present their own challenges and rewards, and to use them all you have to do is remove your scope from the receiver dovetails... when you reinstall it it is still zero'd.

So, there is nothing you can't hunt if you wish to, the recoil is negligible, the FS is an aesthetic design, you can get 10 rounds if you wish, and the fit and finish of the FS is something to be admired.

That's my take on it.

Enjoy your life!

Page generated in 0.02545 seconds with 8 queries