View Single Post
Old December 31, 2013, 04:14 PM   #13
SHE3PDOG

Reading through some of the other posts reminded me of something else. When I first started shooting, I didn't really know what I liked or didn't like. I just shot whatever my dad and brothers put in my hands. After shooting lots of different models, I started to develop preferences pertaining to grip size, trigger feel, sights, weight, and other aspects that are all highly personal for the most part.

The point is, if I hadn't already had the experience with other guns, I wouldn't have known what to look for when I bought my first handgun. I already knew what a naturally pointing gun felt like and all the other stuff that I liked. With that in mind, if whoever is buying the gun is a new shooter, I'd recommend that they go to some sort of basic handgun course where they let you use range guns so they can get a feel for what decent shooting is supposed to be, and start forming their preferences.

After they figure all that stuff out, they can just look for similar pistols, shoot them, then decide whether or not they like it. Obviously more experienced shooters can skip over the first part, but I still wouldn't buy a handgun without shooting it if it all possible.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms

Page generated in 0.03584 seconds with 8 queries