View Single Post
Old February 21, 2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Roger Beach

642/442 vs 638

These three j frame S&W's all have the same dimensions with the exception of the extension of the frame upward to cover the sides of the exposed hammer. It is single action and double action where the others mentioned are double action only.

The following is only my opinion, and is not intended to be advice.

If this is a self defense carry gun the double action only is the better choice from a legal standpoint. The longer, heavier trigger pull means the revolver can only fire with intent. A single action revolver with the hammer cocked is subject to the problem of a "negligent discharge" claim becoming an issue if one is involved in a shooting. In court one can expect the plantiff's lawyer to suggest you had an unintentional "negligent discharge" that wounded or killed the plantiff's attacker. One may not be charged criminally but may be sued in a wrongful death civil suit where the bar set for the burden of proof is much lower.

This may influence your decision on which revolver to buy more than the choice between carrying single action revolver or a double action only.

Learning to shoot a double action only revolver accurately is harder but the use is simpler. faster, and again, in my opinion, safer from a legal standpoint.

I recently read about a police officer holding a suspect for transport with a cocked revolver. He shot and killed that person. He lost his job, his wife, and his house as the court decided he had a negligent discharge.

In a tense situation such as armed conflict, your vision, hearing, and fine motor abilities are significantly degraded, and your nervous tension is greatly increased. These factors leave one open to such a claim.

Good luck with your decision on which to buy.

Page generated in 0.03623 seconds with 8 queries