Thread: Shotgun Safety
View Single Post
Old February 23, 2001, 11:20 AM   #1
K80Geoff

Ok... I think this issue needs to be discussed here. We have a lot of newbie clays shooters here and they shoud be given a briefing on proper etiquette on the Skeet, Trap and SC ranges.

Some of this may sem odd to you if you are a rifle or pistol shooter.

Safetys - Safetys on shotguns are not used on the clays range. Many guns have no mechanical safety and many have the safety locked on the OFF position. The only safe gun is one that is unloaded and has the action OPEN so that other shooters can SEE the unloaded chamber.

Proper carry of Shotguns.- This is a real sore point , and will get you expelled from a range if you do not pay attention.

Do NOT carry an O/U or SxS over your shoulder with the barrels to the rear. If you need an example or picture look at Ted Nugent on the cover of his book or Charlton Heston in the NRA's propaganda. Both are carrying their guns improperly! If you must carry the gun on your shoulder, hold the barrels in your hand and place the butt to the rear.

Of course the proper way to carry a break action is in the crook of your arm with the action open.

Swinging a O/U around with the barrels to the rear is dangerous. You can easily injure another shooter or range personnel ala the three stooges. I see this happen all the time. You may also damage someone elses gun. Put another ding in my K 80 and you will be in trouble, trust me on this one.

Pump and Gas guns (autos) should be carried in the crook of your arm. The chamber should always be visible to other shooters and if you must carry on your shoulder the proper way is to hold the barrel and place the butt on your shoulder with the chamber visible to all. Looks dumb but experienced shooters will recognize you as a knowledgable shooter and not yell at you.

Actions should always be open and the guns unloaded. Magazine guns are not to be kept loaded. Only load the gun when you are on or in a firing point and it is your turn to shoot. You may of course close the actions if you decide to place the gun in a rack or if you carry from station to station in a case. Be careful when retrieving the gun, open the action immediatrely when you pick the gun up or remove it from it's case. Of course do not point the gun at anyone, but we know that already

When someone else is shooting, please keep the noise down. Playing grabass while someone is trying to shoot is impolite. Loud talking and jokes may distract the shooter. Don't bring the kids with you and let them run around annoying other shooters.

Do not retrieve empty hulls while someone is in a shooting stand. Do this after everyone is finished shooting if it is allowed by the range. Trying to concentrate on a tough Sporting Clays target while some clown is rooting around in the bushes for 28 ga hulls is annoying and can be dangerous.

If you are shooting sporting clays and the shooting stand is constructed so that your swing is limited, do not try to defeat the limiting. It is there for a reason, most likely because it would endanger other shooters. Always shoot in the stand provided, unless you have permission from the management to do otherwise. sporting clays courses are often set up with overlaping shotfall areas. Swinging outside of the designated arc of fire may endanger others.

If the range limits you to shot no larger than 7 1/2, do not use anything larger. larger shot carries farther and may exceed the shotfall area. # 6 shot may carry far enough to hit someone. I have personal experience with this, if you ever get to meet me I will show you the chipped shooting glasses to prove it!

Don't be a slob. Use the trash barrels for empty shell boxes and other refuse. Hulls should be placed in the trash container or hull bucket if you can do so (IE shooters with O/U and SxS) Gas gunners and pumps on doubles are excused from this as they can't help it. On a sporting clays stand remove your expended hulls from within the stand after shooting.

Do not shoot at the range signs, or the traphouse. Or at the birds flying by. Know where the path is on sporting clays courses and stay on it.

If you are one of those fat ol white guy shooters with a customized golf cart, remember that shooters walking with guns have the right of way, and keep the friggin' cart off of the skeet field. Do not block paths or gateways, and don't let your kid run the cart around. Drive slowly and watch the dust and mud. Better yet, walk and get the exercise.

Do not pick up another shooters gun without asking permission first, even if it is a crappy mossberg. If the gun rack is full, find another one or hold the gun. Please allow the next shooter to retrieve his gun. don't stand around the rack blocking access while you discuss the latest dow jones index with the plastic surgeon in the next squad. If you bring specators instruct them to wear eye and ear protection and to stay out of the way and to shaddup!

Don't coach unless asked to . During tournaments this is verbotten.

Don't yell at the trap bunnies, they ar probably overworked and underpaid. Slow down between shots, on manual traps give the trapper time to recock and re set.

If you don't know the target sequence ask before you shoot. 'Don't get caught with your gun in the wrong position and expect to get the targets over.

That's all for now , I'll add to this as other points come to mind.

Geoff Ross

Page generated in 0.02689 seconds with 8 queries