View Single Post
Old August 25, 2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Dhaught

I started by joining IDPA and doing a lot of research on the web watching IDPA videos on youtube and reading on competition forums. IDPA will help you develop some shooting skills and it is a fun game to play but I think the important thing to remember is that IDPA or IPSC are both "Games" and neither really does much to prepare you for a gun fight or defensive encounter.
A good IDPA course will have you reloading, shooting from concealment, transitioning, and shooting moving targets which are all good shooting practice, but to take it to the next level I think you should seek out a course in your area from a reputable instructor or school if you can find one that can introduce you to real world defensive techniques.

A good basic defensive course in my opinion would have you working on speed and combat accuracy which is a lot different than shooting out the bullseye at a slow steady pace. Lots of presentation work. Basic defensive gun handling with reloads and malfunction drills as well as transition work and some rapid fire target engagement from the holster to full presentation.

A solid day of training is taxing both mentally and physically but it will give you some good basic skill sets and drills that you can practice on your own.
Also finding a good local outdoor range that you can join which would allow you the freedom to do defensive drill work would be a great investment if there is a range like that in your area.

Stay safe, get trained, and good luck.

Page generated in 0.02977 seconds with 8 queries