View Single Post
Old January 16, 2012, 04:19 PM   #13
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdlover
Doesn't a pig have a tough leathery protection thingy above or around his shoulder where you might have a penetration problem? I've never hunted the little rascals but I've read that somewhere.
Sometimes, big breeding-age hogs will hook trees and brush, marking territory. In these piney woods, they'll mark pine trees by slashing them with their tusks, then rub their shoulders against them, marking the trees with scent. As the hog makes his rounds, the tree oozes sap and when the hog comes back around to that particular tree, he'll rub again, getting sap in the hair and skin on that shoulder. Eventually, he'll have a big patch of rosn-soaked hair on that shoulder. Under that shoulder is a big piece of gristle and fairly heavy muscle. If the pig has been fighting with other hogs, that's usually the spot where he'll have scar tissue as well. The combination of scar tissue, pine rosin, gristle, makes a pretty good shield on the shoulders.

I've seen bullets break up on the shoulder, but generally a good hard-cast bullet will plow on through. If you are shooting a standard soft-point, try to put your shot behind the shoulder for a double-lung shot. He'll pile up fast like that too.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.03023 seconds with 8 queries