View Single Post
Old November 4, 2008, 10:40 PM   #15
j.chappell

Quote:
A friend of mine told me that while a 300RUM was a great 300 yard deer rifle his 30.06 would kill deer twice as dead at 50 yards. His reasoning being that a 150 gr bullet fired from each would be going so fast comming out of the RUM that it would "laser through" a deer at 50 yards and make a pin hole so quick and smooth that no shock would transfer to the deer and the wound channel would be tiny compared to the slower 30.06 which would impart significant "shock" into the deer.
Tell your friend that he is completely wrong. If anything at all the bullet from the RUM would come apart at near muzzle velocity. There is an inherent need to use premium bullets in magnum calibers where a close shot may be taken. Anything less will come apart dramatically.

Why would you even use the 300RUM when you may be taking 50 yard shots? Now I realize that in hunting you may get a shot at any distance but if your hunting includes those 50 yard shots then I believe you are carrying the wrong weapon if equipped with a rifle chambered for the 300RUM.

Sorry I just can’t believe all the people that bought that rifle as the "ultimate deer rifle". That’s like using a 22-250 for rabbits that you intend to eat, lol.

J.

Page generated in 0.03485 seconds with 8 queries