View Single Post
Old February 16, 2011, 11:13 AM   #46
fatmax

Rather than make snide remarks about Glocks and Taurus (Taurii ?) I think it might be nice to answer the op's question politely.

My take on the op's question is this: What are the options for a durable, relatively maintenance free, easy to use, reliable, and moderately priced revolver in a reasonable self-defense cartridge, that is sized for the average person's hand ?

My answer would be the following:

Ruger Speed, Service or Security Six (maybe even an SP101)
Ruger GP100
S&W 686

All of these guns are stainless, so you have the low maintenance end covered.

All are reliable, and capable of handling a steady diet of the 357mag cartridge. I would have included the S&W model 65 and 66, but I don't think the K-frame 357 is as durable and capable of frequent full-blown 357mag shooting.

All of these revolvers are reasonably sized, and with the S&W if you go with a round butt model the grip options are pretty numerous so you can fit your hand perfectly.

Any of these revolvers can be purchased for well under $600 if you buy a used one either locally or on this or another forum. I have owned each of these models, all bought used, and found all of them to be flawlessly reliable, rugged, accurate, and good looking.

My preference would be for a larger caliber revolver, like a S&W 624, 625, or 22-4, but these guns tend to cost more, and are a little bit harder to carry concealed. I carry a 22-4 45acp revolver, daily, and have found it to be the best gun I've ever owned. It is, however, blued and will require a little bit more maintenance and care. It also costs a bit north of $650, used. The S&W 696 is a great gun in 44special, as are the 3" barreled 624, 625, 629, and 610 in 44special, 45acp, 44mag, and 10mm, respectively. Unfortunately, all of these guns are higher priced, and the 696 is not a good candidate for high-volume shooting.

I can't speak for Taurus revolvers other than to say they make or made some smaller sized large-bore revolvers in 44special, 45colt, and 44mag, that feel good in the hand. Their quality is often questioned, but I've heard as many good reports as bad.

Of the three manufacturers mentioned (S&W, Ruger, and Taurus) I would categorize them in this fashion:

S&W - More refined, well balanced and nicer action than the other two makers, but while not fragile they are less rugged and durable than the Ruger, and they tend to be more expensive used or new. Wonderful to shoot, but durability varies with frame size and cartridge pairing.

Ruger - Very rugged and reliable, but the actions can be rough. Great value, and should outlive the first and second owners. Heavy guns, built to be used frequently.

Taurus - Rugged, but hit-or-miss on quality and action. Least expensive of the three, but you get what you pay for. If you can buy a used model that you are able to test prior to purchasing it, there shouldn't be any issues. Probably not a good match for the required qualities exemplified by a Glock semi-auto.

I hope this helps. If I were to pick one of the models I mentioned it would be the 686 in 2-1/2, 3" or 4" barrel length. They come in seven shot versions, and are not overly heavy for daily carry. The actions on pre-lock models tend to be fantastic, and they are, in my opinion, one of the nicest looking revolvers. My second choice would be a 2-1/2" or 4" Ruger Speed Six.

Thanks
Fatmax

Page generated in 0.03052 seconds with 8 queries