View Single Post
Old January 1, 2011, 07:36 PM   #31
OldGrouch

H&R Ultra Slug is a clear winner

I own a 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug. I have a 3x9 Nikon Slughunter scope mounted on my gun. I spent considerable time at the range and a fortune in sabot slugs to discover which sabot shot best out of my gun. After the first visit to the range, I invested in a LimbSaver recoil pad because some of those 3" slugs kick as hard as a 375 magnum (maybe even a bit harder). Anyway, I hunt Ohio, NJ, and Delaware every year and my H&R has accounted for 9 deer so far that ranged in distance from 30 yds to 156 yds. Every one of those 9 deer dropped where it stood. After shooting boxes and boxes of sabot slugs, I now know that my gun likes the 3" Winchester Platinum Tip sabots the best. From a sandbagged benchrest, at 50 yds, these sabots in my Ultra Slug will shoot a single jagged hole every time. At 100 yds, it is a larger jagged hole to a cloverleaf every time. At 150 yds, we are looking at 2.5 inch groups at 200 yds I keep within 3.25 inch groups. Now it will not shoot this well with any other sabot in any other length. It cost me over $200.00 in slugs to clearly determine which sabot and slug length was best for my Ultra Slug but once I have ranged the deer accurately and determine that the deer is within my self-imposed 200 yd maximum, it is a dead deer . . . every time!

To be honest, if someone who owned a Tarhunt, a Savage 210, or any other slug gun with a permanently fixed barrel were to spend the time and money I did finding the favorite sabot for their gun, it might shoot as good as my Ultra Slug does. All I know is that I have a slug gun I wouldn't trade for all corruption money pocketed by the 111th Congress!

Page generated in 0.02794 seconds with 8 queries