View Single Post
Old December 17, 2002, 11:12 PM   #11
Sarge

The only thing I can add Skunkster...

is that it's sort of a question of balancing your needs/desires for nostalgia, power, and utility. I don't fancy myself Tom Mix and I detest having to lube pistol casings, so the .44-40 gets flushed first. Good round for it's day, but that day is gone as far as I'm concerned. The .44 Mag will do anything the WCF will, and do it better.

Depending on the gun you choose, the .45 Colt will do anything the .44 Mag will do, except for two things- ammo availability and the abililty to use full-power loads in any gun factory-chambered for it. It does have a high-volume case which presents some challenges with light loads of fast powder; it also seems to suffer from a lack of uniform and sensible chamber cylinder-throat dimensions from the manufacturers. The .44 Mag does not have this problem, and is essentially equal to the hottest loadings of the .45 Colt (with 350+ grain bullets) in any application except perhaps the heaviest game and bears.

The .357 is a superb round and is available everywhere, and while it has been used on all North American game it is not in the same class as the .44 Mag & .45 Colt. For the individual wanting an all-around handgun however, it still does a fine job and I would not hesitate to turn one on deer up to 200 pounds, at 35 yards or so. Anything and everything else including defensive applications is handled in fine style by the .357 Magnum.

Gee, for somebody with 'not much to add' I got on quite a ramble there. While you did not specifically inquire as to their suitability as hunting cartridges, I have hunted with handguns for so long that it essentially impossible for me to think about powerful revolvers, and not address this application. I'm afraid that I also repeatedly mentioned the .44 Magnum, because it is a hunting cartridge par excellence, as well as the standard by which all others are judged. It can be loaded up or down to cover any power spectrum from the mild .38s, on up to 300+ grain bullets at 1300+ fps; power that in fact rivals the heavy rifles of the late 1800s. 'Elmer's baby' will do it all well enough to carry the day, and deserves a hard look if you need a versatile, powerful revolver.

Good luck with your choice.

Page generated in 0.02430 seconds with 8 queries