View Single Post
Old March 24, 2010, 02:27 AM   #10
sauerfan

Hi Texson,

What you have is a “Tell” model shotgun, made by J. P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl. Or is the spelling really “Son”? In this case, it was made for the US market. The “Tell” was offered as a rifle or as a shotgun. There were two variations: the cheaper non detachable and the detachable variation, which was a little bit more expensive. You have the detachable variation: the lever on the side is for taking the barrel off. And please: do so.

Your Tell is a little bit…. Strange. The marking crown/B was used only (!) for rifles (B = Büchse = rifle). Also, on shoguns, the calibre wasn’t indicated in millimetres, but as gauge number, i.e. 12, 16, 20…. 24, 28 and so on (the gauge number within a circle).

So I wonder, if your Tell started as a rifle? Also, the diameter is strange. 12.4 mm = 0.488”. Bore diameter would correspond with a 40 gauge, but not with a 24 gauge (= 14.71 mm = 0.579”).

Anyway, markings on the underside of the barrel could help.

The Tell had a very long life. It was made since at least 1900 up to 1940, approximately and it was Sauer’s cheapest gun. Enclosed is an ad of a circa 1927 Geco catalog, showing the Tell shotgun. Note: the shotgun was available also with ejectors.

In a 1906 dated Sauer catalog it was offered i. a. as “Tellbüchse I” with smooth barrel chambered for shot shells in 10 mm or in 13mm. Maybe this could be an explanation for the 12.4 mm indication? I don’t know.

I will not participate in the value discussion (I’m German and not familiar with the US market). In any case, you can’t compare a Tell with a Merkel! You even can’t compare it with other Sauers, e. g. a Sauer model VIII shotgun or other Sauer quality guns.

Regards

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sauer_Tell-Flinte_GECO_Catalog_1927_1024x494.jpg (119.4 KB, 73 views)

Page generated in 0.03665 seconds with 9 queries