Thread: On new 870s...
View Single Post
Old July 21, 2000, 11:27 AM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Folks, just got off the line with Remington Customer service,and heard a few things I may or may not quite believe...

As anyone who's been here any length of time knows,I've been using 870s since about 1958, and taught the weapon to hundreds of Correctional Officers,and I'm an enthusiatic booster of the arm.

But there's been some changes afoot, and I called Remington to clear up a few things.

First, after examining one of the new Express models with the keyed safety, I asked the nice lady at Remington if they would be standard. She stated that ALL new 870s would have the keyed safety,and from her tone I gathered she was tired of answering this.The old and new safeties are interchangeable,but Remington will not supply any old style safeties to convert the new style. Apparently, the aftermarket Bighead safeties will work, for those who get one of the keyed jobs and want to switch.

Also....

All express models will be made with the plastic triggerplate and all 870s will be available only with the plastic shell follower. Wingmasters will have the steel triggerplate as of old, but they do not furnish the steel shell follower even as a spare part. She recommended some of the parts vendors and is sending me a list of same that may carry metal shell holders. Steel triggerplates may be purchased from Remington, tho I didn't ask the price.BTW, never seen a problem with the plastic follower,but I've heard of a few going wrong in 1100s and 11-87s. Those were trap and clay guns, shooting lots of rounds.

Also, she confirmed what I thought, ALL 870s except the Special Field models have complete parts interchangeability within gauge. That means parts, if ever needed, will be available as long as the 870(still America's most popular shotgun) is made and sold.

IMO, Remington,darn it, is going a little too PC for my tastes,and since there's lots of used 870s out there, maybe that's the best option until Remington comes to its senses and goes back to making shotguns instead of money.

Maybe I'll post a thread about buying a used pump gun, for the information some folks may need and be a little shy about getting...

Page generated in 0.03359 seconds with 8 queries