View Single Post
Old March 6, 2014, 12:58 PM   #72
davem

Frank- thanks for citing the case, etc. very helpful for me at least and I think the court did a good job on that decision, the aspect of balancing the private rights versus the need to obtain an impartial jury. I think that court decision is one that any citizen in a free country can accept.
So...with that court decision in mind, let's get back to the ORIGINAL questionnaire that Jason was sent. I can see that if a case involved an issue about firearms then asking if the juror was a possessor of firearms might be valid but what about the other questions: "what kind of a gun is it?", "What is the gun used for?". Those seem pretty intrusive to me. It seems to me that simply knowing if a potential juror is or is not a gun possessor ought to be sufficient to establish if the juror is impartial. What if the juror owns say 20 different firearms. Theoretically, to answer the questionnaire, the potential juror would have to list each firearm and what each firearm is used for- to me- that is excessive.

Page generated in 0.02238 seconds with 8 queries