View Single Post
Old November 19, 2011, 06:44 PM   #10
Roscoe54

Jim,

I don't know anyone personally who's done caliber conversions on Arisaka's, in fact I don't know anybody else who owns an Arisaka 38. I'm only going by what I've read on this forum and others and the .257 Roberts is pretty much the standard rechambering for the few folks who consider the Arisaka worth messing with.

I just came across a company that'll install, headspace and test fire a 25-06 Adams & Bennett 24" barrel on a small ring Mauser action for $150: http://www.switchbarrel.com/Mau_sale.htm. I have a pair of Swedish 6.5mm actions and a pair of Spanish 7mm actions and by going that route I'll end up with a much nicer gun.

I don't want to part with many bucks and the Arisaka isn't worth a whole lot, but as I've researched it I keep reading about how strong and under-rated the action is and I can't help but daydream. I've got Swedish head space gauges and the simplest thing would be to convert the Arisaka to 6.5x55 but many folks say it's the toughest military bolt action receiver anywhere, easily capable of Magnum pressures. I'm not a Magnum fan but I am looking for a long-range paper-puncher/varminter and I'm just exploring possibilities. .257 and .264 aren't that far apart, some military rifles and ammo had manufacturing tolerances that were .007" off. I dunno, I'm just in research mode and looking at what other folks have to say.

Page generated in 0.03734 seconds with 8 queries