Thread: First reloads
View Single Post
Old January 12, 2007, 11:38 PM   #2
rwilson452

dippers and crimps

What do you all use to measure the powder? I got the Lee dippers and a scale. I hoped to measure the first couple then just use the dippers for the rest. Didn't work that well! The charges thrown were less than on the slide chart so I ended up weighing each charge. That was slow. I guess I'll have to get some type of measure.

Dipper will throw light. they do that to ensure you don't get an over charge. The sad thing about the dippers I have found is one will be too light and the next one up is too much. you can get some adjustment by the way you dip the powder. the down side of dippers is you must use it exactly the same way every time. Yes, get a powder measure

When I was seating the bullet, I would get shavings (brass or copper) sometimes. Do I need to expand the case mouth more? I tried to follow the manual, it said to expand just where the bullet will start like a 1/32". Do I need more?

More than likely your over crimping and the crimp is starting to close too soon. the real cure for this is to crimp as a separate step. Buy a Lee factory crimp die. Then set the seating die to not crimp.

Page generated in 0.02142 seconds with 8 queries