View Single Post
Old April 6, 1999, 03:47 PM   #2
Daniel Watters

The most famous example is the De Lisle 'Silent Carbine', a heavily modified SMLE with an integral suppressor. It feed from a modified M1911 magazine. The De Lisle was used during World War II and in the Malayan 'Emergency'. Gunsmiths in South Africa and Great Britain are reportedly still producing unsuppressed versions. Some are even offering the use of alternative magazines.

Springfield Armory modified at least one Model 1903 Carbine to .45 ACP in 1921. The only picture can be seen in Hatcher's Notebook and LTC Wm. Brophy's The Springfield 1903 Rifles.

I vaguely remember seeing a photo of a Remington 700 modified to a suppressed .45 ACP carbine much along the lines of the De Lisle. I believe that the work had been done by suppressor-smith Phil Dater, but I can't be certain.

Any rifle with a bolt face that will accept .308 Win/.30-06 cases would be a candidate for a .45 ACP conversion. The problem would be converting the rifle's internal magazine, or adapting the rifle to accept a pistol type magazine. It certainly isn't a cost-effective procedure, unless the rifle action is of dubious strength for a rifle cartridge. For instance, the original De Lisles were reportedly built from condemned/rejected SMLE actions.

Page generated in 0.03407 seconds with 8 queries