View Single Post
Old April 21, 2001, 10:40 AM   #13
ctdonath

Yup, that's my page. After following a prolonged sword v. gun discussion I figured I'd try some timings. Since there's still interest in the page, and a friend is coming to videotape some sword work today, I'll see about capturing some relevant video and updating the page.

Think there is one problem with his test. He attacked stationary targets.

No question the test is severly limited. The starting point for such tests is a close-range face-off with the attacks commencing on the same signal - hardly a realistic scenario, but someplace to begin.

I'm open to suggestions for further tests!

Most of what one can do with a sword, one can do with a 3' stick or cane.

They share the same basic moves, which is why my Iaido and Kali (Philipine stick fighting) classes are back-to-back. The results, however, are distinctly different.

footwork

...is critical. Regardless of what technique you're using against an attacker, and regardless of what you're being attacked with, get the heck out of the way!

I note the pistol's muzzle travels much the shorter distance

But the core of the motion is in the hand. In both cases, the hand moves about two feet (roughly) and the wrist rotates about 90 degrees. As both tools weigh about the same (about 2 pounds) they can be moved equally fast. The length of the sword just means the tip moves faster; the controlling hand does equivalent motion for each tool. Both take about the same time to "deliver".

Page generated in 0.02843 seconds with 8 queries