View Single Post
Old November 3, 2012, 12:29 AM   #35
jmr40

Quote:
He may have specified semi, but he described a bolt action.

For defense, I will take a semi over a bolt anytime. For hog hunting, I will take a semi over a bolt anytime. For rapid fire up close, I will take a semi over a bolt anytime.

Within 200 yards, there will not be much of a difference in accuracy between a bolt and a semi. I would also have no problems whitetail hunting with a semi, but either a bolt or a semi would work for that application.
He said lightweight, he can get a bolt gun under 6 lbs scoped within his budget and buy 2 of them under 7 lbs including optics with his budget. He'll have a hard time finding semi that will come in under 10 lbs with optics. Not something to walk around with, which he specified.

As a pure SD rifle a semi is the way to go, but for all around use the bolt still wins. While I don't agree 100% with Coopers scout rifle concept, this is exactly what it was designed for.

Being able to shoot fast is one thing. Being able to shoot fast and hit stuff is another. With as much recoil as a 308 has when compared to a 223 round the controlling factor is getting your sights back on target. I can get off 3 shots with a semi in around 1/2 second compared to 1.8 seconds with a 308 bolt rifle. But that is not aiming at anything. When I have to make hits on a target down range the semi is only slightly faster for 3 shots. Around 3.5 seconds vs 4 seconds for 3 shots that all hit a 9" target at 50 yards.

From everything he has said he wants to do with the gun a 308 bolt carbine with an 18-20" barrel meets his needs better than anything. I have no problems with some using a semi, but they don't make what he is describing in a semi. He is trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Page generated in 0.02112 seconds with 8 queries