View Single Post
Old May 20, 2011, 02:53 PM   #1
hopeisnotastrategy

Newbie Dad & Son

I am not sure whether or not to post this here or under "Art of the Rifle." I have a couple of questions which I will post separately.

I have never hunted, as my dad did not hunt, and it has always been my dream to educate myself and start the tradition with my sons. This year I am going to buy my first rifle along with my oldest son's first rifle. (We're signed up for a hunter safety course here in Texas.)

My son is 12 but very small for his age, weighing about 80 pounds soaking wet. We are going to be primarily deer hunting (white-tail & mule) and I need to pick the right caliber rifle for him. After tons of reading it seems that .243 is the smallest caliber recommended for deer, but when researching the recoil, I am afraid it will be too much for him and cause him to flinch/not enjoy shooting. I'm looking for general guidance from you experienced hunters on 2 fronts: A) am I correct that .243 is the smallest I should consider? and B) do you think a boy of his size will have a problem with the recoil of that weapon?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Page generated in 0.02142 seconds with 8 queries