View Single Post
Old November 27, 2012, 05:00 PM   #68
Willie Sutton

Here's my first SAA, which was bought in a grouping from a gentleman in Utah, who was relocating to Australia and who could not take his family firearms with him.

The grouping included this SAA (more later), a Remington .41 over/under derringer, a Remington hammer double barrel 12 guage, and a Winchester 1873 rifle in .44-40. All of the pieces have about the same finish on them. They were owned by one of my friends early relatives, who carried them or used them daily as his "selection". The selection represents the working guns of a fairly well funded western rancher of the era: Rifle and Revolver in .44-40, a 12 guage double, and a small derringer for carrying into town. All are high quality, and with the derringer and shotgun both being Remingtons, there was obviously a Remington dealer in town.

The SAA is a .44-40, original finish gone to grey, but no rust anywhere. Serial Number of 106xxx puts in to 1884. The revolver came with a leather holster and belt, contemporary to the revolver, with conchos made from Spanish silver coins.

The revolver is tight, timing is good, and lockup perfect. I shoot it "regularly", meaning at least twice a year, with handloaded .44-40 black powder cartridges. It's a pleasure to take the old girl out and see who on the line recognizes that it's not an "antiqued" Uberti, but the real deal.

I'd be interested in comments, and any idea of valuation.

Willie

Attached Images
File Type: jpg colt.JPG (97.4 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by Willie Sutton; November 27, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Page generated in 0.03360 seconds with 9 queries