View Single Post
Old May 30, 2001, 10:53 PM   #6
Rob Pincus

My experience is limited, but I believe that the official line is that most targets are within 15 yards. At the Southern Regional match last week, the toughest shots were head shot droppers (4"x4"), one stage had two of them, I'd estimate the closer at 7 yards and the further at 10.

IMNSO, 35 yard headshots and 50 yard shots in general have no business as part of something touted as "Defensive Pistol SHooting"!

One thing though, don't be discouraged by the Classifier. It is bogus. The scoring system used during the classifier is different from the one used during competition. This has always really bugged my about IDPA, and from what I gather, I'm not the only one. The difference in the scoring is significant, particularly if you generally shoot quickly. My motto is "One in the gut and one in the chest is better than just one in the X-ring!" Double and Tripple tapping during competition can improve your score if you are fast enough ("extra" shots are called "pick-ups"), but your shots are limited during the classifier. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll be classified too low and you'll run all over your competition during your first match...

Have Fun.

Page generated in 0.03623 seconds with 8 queries