View Single Post
Old May 12, 2013, 05:38 PM   #21
hoffbill

I have been using a Savage 93 bull barrel 17 for several years. Excellent for target practice to 200 yds. The Vmax bullet is very accurate and since it disintegrates on impact ricochet risk is minimized. I use it on prairie dogs to 100-150 yds while my 223 cool off. The Vmax bullet is explosive on them, but that is not a plus on larger animals like coyotes since they can come apart before getting enough penetration to be fatal. So switch to the 20 gr HP game bullet for anything larger. But keep in mind that with such small bullets the energy is limited and drops off quickly as you go past 100 yds. Just go to Hornady website and run ballistic calculator comparisons on 22lr, 17 HMR, and 22 mag to see the differences in velocity and energy at various ranges.

My comparative experience is the 17 will equal or exceed the 22lr and has considerably more range. And as others have mentioned even with the high velocity that little bullet will drift a lot in crosswinds especially anything over 10 mph. The 22 mag cannot match the 17 accuracy at ranges over 100 yds, but with twice as big a bullet, it is the way to go if you are planning to shoot at larger animals like coyotes and bobcats.

Page generated in 0.02887 seconds with 8 queries