View Single Post
Old July 8, 2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Oquirrh

'58 Remington copy is real history

I picked up a '58 Remington today from a lawyer. Hadn't been shot or cleaned in a couple decades.

It could be a historic icon: The last cap and ball used in a shoot out.(I am not making this up.)

The lawyer represented a biker in Ogden, Utah, who got into an altercation outside a bar on 25th Street (a bad place) sometime in the early 1980s (not 1880s). "Snake" pulled a knife or chain on him and the biker reached into his saddle bag where he kept his '58 Remington New Army replica.

He shot and wounded his attacker. (Don't what load he used.)

The lawyer defended him, arguing self-defense, and won. After the trial the lawyer got the '58 from the cops as a momento, after promising not to give it back to the biker. (I'm sure the biker would have been glad to have given it to him.)

After all these years, the lawyer decided to "get it out of the house" and I got it.

The lawyer's memory is sketchy, but I'm going to research the case--I'll have to go to the library in Ogden.

Right now, I'm trying to un-freeze the screws and nipples. It's soaking in knock-er-loose. Other than that, it's in surprisingly good shape.

I can't find any markings so far, except Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield, N.J.

Last edited by Oquirrh; July 9, 2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: corrected some facts

Page generated in 0.02134 seconds with 8 queries