Thread: triple 7...
View Single Post
Old November 7, 2005, 12:13 AM   #137
Old Dragoon

On porting a '58 Remington and draw filing the bbl and frame

Well I spent the whole afternoon porting my '58 Remington for my Kirst Converter, will port the Recoil shield tomorrow. When I got done with the loading port I decided what the heck, I'll draw file the bbl and the frame too.
Praise the Lord for tapered bbl's, they are much easier to drawfile than a straight bbl.

I got the Birchwood Casey blue remover and some Plum Brown......Yep I'm going to antique it. Will post pictures when I'm done. right now it looks like a mess, but I know how it'll look when I'm done. It'll be the first browing/antiqueing I've done in over 30 years. Bout time Huh?

Hand cutting the loading port with rat tail files is a job, but it works so well with the new cylinder that I'm quite proud of myself. Now to port the recoil sheild that comes with the Kirst Konverter. Kirst's instruction and port templates are a bit too big a dia. for a 44, so I modified it to just pass a 44 Colt bullet with a little to spare. When I unload and turn the cylinder the cartridges pass easily back out thru the port. When the Recoil is ported the timing of the cylinder keeps the bullets in the cylinder and after the first shot they all swell in the cylinder anyway, according to Mr. Kirst. There will be no gate on this port.

I'm so jazzed about this that I might spend the bucks for Kirst's ejector too.
$99.00 for the cylinder pin and ejector is a bit steep. We'll see how easy the spent shells come out, then make the figure it out.

Also I trimmed down the rims on some 44 Rem Mag brass yesterday and they fit really well with a .451 ball, to get just that much more powder in the brass. I do not think I can get 40 grains in the cartridges, 35-37 may be tops unless I can get some 44 basic brass and trim them back

OK Mike I'll still shoot it Cap and Ball sometimes.

Page generated in 0.03410 seconds with 8 queries