View Single Post
Old April 28, 2002, 12:32 AM   #2
D.W. Drang

Ayoob's books are good--check out the rest. There are actually a bunch of authors who are good, depending on what you are looking for. Some authors to look for: Jim Cirrilio, Gabe Suarez, Jim Farnham, Gila Maye Hayes, and, of course, last but possibly most, Jeff Cooper.

Col Cooper is generally credited with introducing the color codes to the self-defense mind-set, as well as with being in on the ground floor of developing the Modern Technique of the Pistol.
He developed the system based on alert codes used while he served as a USMC officer during WWII.

White: Unaware of surroundings. Typified by being asleep, absorbed in a book or TV, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Yellow: Aware of surroundings, "cognizant of those around you", have identified potential sources of threats, but no threat is ID'd yet.

Orange: "On Alert", specific potential threat(s) has been identified, BUT no specific threats have not arisen--they may not be real threats--so defensive action is not called for--yet. This is the time you should be devising a plan for coping with a threat.

Red: ALARM! Now is the time to implement the plan you developed during "Orange"--and it is not necessarily going to be "Start shooting!" Ideally, during Orange you will have left the AO--if not, that is your best bet now, if you can...

Some will add a fifth level of alert, "Black", to indicate that you are actually engaged in some sort of self-defense action. COL Cooper says--and I agree, FWIW--that a fifth level is not necessary, since you have begun dealing with the situation "In Red."
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/

Page generated in 0.02714 seconds with 8 queries