View Single Post
Old December 26, 2013, 12:53 AM   #21
totalloser

If it were me I'd be asking myself what kind of volume I want to do. If you want to roll out 1000 pistol rounds in an hour or two, a progressive is the best choice for the actual loading. I'd be surprised if you could do more than 250 in an hour on a turret of any kind. Once you get into rifle, things slow down a LOT due to inspecting/trimming brass.

As I have said before, I am really fond of the lee turret regardless of cost. I tolerate my Loadmaster and probably would buy it again. The loadmaster primer feed is iffy and a couple of fasteners routinely work loose. They were both inexpensive and they both work. I don't know how many I have loaded, but it's somewhere in the range of 10-20k rounds. Virtually all on the progressive.

One other detail with most progressives, and all true turret presses is that switching from one caliber to another is EXTREMELY simple. Just switch the turret in and all the dies are already dialed in. Caliber switches on the progressives are not as fast.

The classic turret primes on the downstroke, so once you place a shell on the holder the whole process can be completed with 3 pulls of the handle. One more if you want to post-size. I'd buy a package kit personally.

If you go progressive, I'd still really consider the turret press to ride alongside. Or a cheap single stage at least.

Page generated in 0.05149 seconds with 8 queries