View Single Post
Old June 5, 2013, 03:12 PM   #20
bedbugbilly

You do have another option . . . if you like the look of "faux ivory". Somewhere on this forum, and it's been a while back, someone posted some grips they "redid" by painting them with what i believe was a "appliance spray paint" - if I remember correctly. I can't remember if they then top coated them with a clear but they looked pretty decent when they got done with them.

I'm not a big fan of laminated grips either - they remind me of plywood but that's just me. Some folks really like that look and it's used on some rifle stocks as well. Different strokes for different folks .. . .

Grips aren't hard to make if you just take your time and fit them properly. You'd have the laminated ones to go by as far as profile shaping them in regards to rounding, etc. You can make your pattern for cut out by taking the existing grips off, putting the frame back together and tracing around the frame, etc. As you probably know - they are one piece grips so you'll have to get the spacer the correct thickness so they will fit the frame.

Grips for a Navy do not have to be one piece - you can make two piece and use a grip screw. Not authentic to the model but I have seen originals over the years that were refitted in that manner. In order to keep the panels in place, you'll have to drill the grip frame and place a locating pin the same way as modern pistols are.

I think it may have been Bill Adkins ??? who did the painted faux ivory grips but may be wrong. Maybe someone will chime in on that and set me straight on that. Do a search and see what you come up with as it is another option to consider. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.04443 seconds with 8 queries