View Single Post
Old April 1, 2007, 09:27 PM   #14
FirstFreedom

No just deer hunting, to see where the wind is coming from, if it's such a light wind that I cannot tell, and when the winds are swirling around in valleys and on hillsides. I then make a plan to circle around if necessary and then approach wind-in-face into the area where I think the deer will be. The string on the end of the bow stabilizer or on your gunstock or sling is a good idea too and simpler - but I just have many rifles, and don't have them all equiped with a string (though it would be a simple matter to tie a thread on of course). Yes I hunt with a bow and yes you have to get close and control you scent. But even with ML or rifle, I make all plans based on the wind more than anything else. There are many times when the wind is against you and you cannot tell by just looking at the leaves and such, because it's too light. I've tried the lick-the-finger thing, and that sometimes works, and it may tell me (it's either north, northwest, or northeast), but the powder will tell you precisely that it's out of the west-southwest, or swirling around down here in this spot.

Page generated in 0.02803 seconds with 8 queries