View Single Post
Old December 19, 2009, 08:50 AM   #9
ksstargazer

I have about 9 Turkish Mausers (M38's, M1903's, M1888, and M98/22's) and about 30 Mosins (Soviet and Finnish). Some are outstanding accurate shooters - all my M98/22's and all my Finnish rifles. Some are horrible shooters - My M1888 Commission rifle and my Soviet 1916 Sestroyesk M91 rifle. None of my Turks would I call valuable - At best I might get $200 for them. However, some of my Finnish mosin rifles are worth easily $400 or more. Ammo for the Mosins is definitely more available and cheaper although Romanian 8mm is still pretty available.
Personally, the Finnish mosins are far more collectible than any Turk. Between the Soviets and the Turks, it is a toss up and I probably would lean toward the Turks even with the history behind the Soviet rifles. But collectibility is whatever you define it to be. Do you want accuracy? Then check out my recommendations above. Do you want history? Forget the Turks and get Finnish or Soviet mosins. You want to plink? The mosins are the way to go for cheap shooting.
If you go for either, I am sure you will eventually get the other. That is what happened to me and to be honest, I like 'em all regardless of their collectibility.

Page generated in 0.04380 seconds with 8 queries