Thread: Steel Targets
View Single Post
Old January 24, 2011, 01:14 AM   #5
wittzo

I bought 6 - 7" Gongs from http://www.qualitytargets.com a while back. They're laser cut out of 3/8th" AR500 steel plate. Their prices are even better on their ebay store. The 7" plates are still going for $20 each.

You can get them with or without "ears" to attach hardware to hang them and they sell all sorts of shapes and sizes.

We built target stands out of black iron pipe and used chains and shackles to hang them. They suggest using carriage bolts so the plates are angled down to deflect the lead and spatter downward, the plates dance around for us, the remnants of the bullets are deflected downward. Lead spatter will shred rubber straps over time and coat everything with lead around it, but no ricochets.

At 100 yards, not even .30-06 will hurt them, at 50 yards, .223 will dimple them a little. Handguns and .22's just scratch the paint off at 25 yards.

I wore out a 3/8" mild steel swinging plate that was 18" in diameter. If it was hit by a 9mm or lighter, it didn't budge and I had some ricochets hit my house and shed. If it were smaller or hung with chain, that wouldn't have been a concern at all.

Page generated in 0.02450 seconds with 8 queries