View Single Post
Old March 18, 2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Willie Sutton

^^^

It might be a law, it might be policy. Here's why:

Federal Law requires a FFL seller conducting a sale to an out of state resident to comply with Federal Law and the state laws of BOTH the state where the sale takes place AND the state of the buyers residence.

Example: I was a NJ Resident with a NJ FID. I travel to Maryland and see a Saiga Shotgun at the LGS near the base where I am flying. Pull out FID and DL and say "I'll take it". NJ State says that the Saiga is just fine to own there, and the BATFE says I can buy a long gun out of state. BUT! Maryland has a special category for "Scary Guns" and the Saiga is a "Scary Gun" and according to Maryland Law you cannot sell a "Scary Gun" to an out of state resident. So..... no sale (sigh). The good news is that sitting next to the Saiga is a Remington 7600P Police Carbine in .308, and I took that instead. NJ FID met NJ State Reqs, BATFE is OK with a long gun sale, and MD law is OK with selling me a pump action rifle. Took it home. Go figure.

So: The Matrix of possibilities is very complex and some FFL's just make it easy by saying "no". Can't blame them. I suspect in the case you cite that it was just incompetence. I bought many rifles in PA using my NJ FID over the years. Dunkelbergers and Manhardts in Stroudsburg were regular stops.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; March 18, 2013 at 09:50 AM.

Page generated in 0.02588 seconds with 8 queries