View Single Post
Old May 28, 2008, 10:02 AM   #15
JP Sarte

The "where can I carry question" is always a difficult question to answer because in all states the laws vary. For example in Kentucky where I have all my LEO experience, I can tell you that just because a business has a sign in the window stating you cannot carry does not make it illegal to carry there. What it does do is give the owner or manager of the business the right to ask you to leave. If you leave it is a non issue. If you do not leave then the legal violation is trespassing not a CCW violation.

Some states have passed CCW laws and within the laws are provisions that say things like "cannot carry into a police department" or "cannot carry in a court of law" etc. But these are all individual to each state.

I don't have to be a lawyer to answer your initial question about an empty holster. I have never in my life heard of it being illegal to carry an "empty" holster anywhere. It's just leather or plastic.

If a college or university attempts to ban "empty holster protests" that is a separate question of university rules and possibly free speech but has nothing to do with the commission of a crime.

As has been previously stated, you should have a complete understanding of your state's CCW law.

JP

Page generated in 0.02247 seconds with 8 queries