View Single Post
Old March 14, 2014, 07:16 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

"Birds Head" vs "Plow Handle"

In my searching for a used Uberti/Cimarron 1872 open top Colt . . I have a lead on a Uberti 1873 "Hombre" and also a Uberti 1873 "Birds Head" grip frame SAA - both of them in .357 and 4 3/4" barrels. I've been keeping my eyes open for the last couple of years for either of these in .357 with the 4 3/4" barrel as I want a short barreled one for carry on the farm. Plus it would allow me to play with reloading the .38 spl., 38 Colt Long & Short - in BP / smokeless.

I like the looks of the Hombre - brass trigger guard and back strap - reminds my of my favorite Uberti '51 Navy . . I also like the looks of the "Birds Head" grip. Kind of neat looking and different . . which leads me to my question.

I've never handled a Birds Head to know what they feel like (other than an original Lightning many, many years ago). Both of the revolvers I have a lead on are not near me so either one would be a buy it and transfer it to a local FFL - i.e. "buy a pig in a poke". For those that have or have had a SAA with a Birds Head grip . . what are your thoughts on them. Obviously the grip profile is different from the traditional "plow handle".

I'm not really interested in the "looks" as much as I am in how the birds head feels in your hand . . . how it affects your "hold" and "aiming", etc. Are these being marketed based on the "unusual and cool factor" or is there an "advantage" as far as hold, comfort in hand, bringing the hand gun up on target and POA etc.?

So for those who have a "birds head" . . can you educate me on them? Comfortable hold and aim or awkward? Would you get another one or stick with the traditional "plow handle"? Ease of reach in terms of cocking the SA hammer with the birds head as opposed to standard plow handle? Do they improve all of the above enough to warrant trying one or stick whit what I know? Etc.

I know there are a number of CAS on here so hoping perhaps they can chime in as well. Thanks for your thoughts - greatly appreciated!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03547 seconds with 8 queries