View Single Post
Old March 2, 2013, 08:30 AM   #18
LancelotLink

It all depends who you're talking to.

For us, its a synonym for bovine pies. We don't need a translation because we know that.

Its essentially any firearms that has (a) certain cosmetic features or (b) any firearm that does't have these features that are defined by name as assault weapons.

For a rabid anti, its an ever changing and ever growing fluid definition that can mean anything they want. The goal for them is to confuse non gun owners and make them support banning anything with the word assault in front of it.

To me, the place where you can get the most effect in coming up with a definition is explaining it to non gun owners.

Here's my own approach.

First, I clarify whether they are talking about assault rifles or assault weapons. Most don't understand the difference. Follow up by explaining that true assault rifles have been strictly regulated since the 30s and banned since 1986. (yes, not exactly true but close enough to someone who doesn't shoot).

Then I explain that an assault weapon is any gun that's been doctored up to look like a military issue firearm, and that even BB guns could be included. Then I explain that since its so arbitrary, there are literally dozens of specific definitions throughout the country so there's no hard and fast answer. But for example, I explain that how having an adjustable shoulder stock that moves even 1-2 inches is a felony, but taking off a stock and replacing it with a shorter one is ok.

At that point, either their eyes glaze over and the subject changes or a more in depth conversation starts.

A few hard hitting examples here come courtesy of SAFE.

The FAQ on SAFE has a section on what about antique weapons that are now designated as firearms. Let them draw their own conclusion.

Another good example is to explain how the rifleman's gun (Chuck Conners) is also banned under most AWB too.

Page generated in 0.03634 seconds with 8 queries