View Single Post
Old May 29, 1999, 09:09 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

Mikey is so modest.. He failed to claim his own victory, placing second in his division in Custom Defensive Pistol (right, mikey ??),
and, His club hosted a great event.

I saw that the UNlimited vickers scoring method is MUCH more realistic than the other version used to score the qualifiers. Which leaves me with a dilema.. if I shoot the qualifiers and the matches in "Rob-like fashion" (ie- fast and furious).. I will continue to score low on the qualifiers, yet score very well (apparently) in the matches. Ie- I'll face serious charges of sandbagging....

Meanwhile, yes, I was edged out in the High Overall category by 1 damn second. I had 110.x and the HOA guy had 109.xx. I feel slightly vindicated in that I actually shot from concealment and had to draw from under a vest, that was the hadnicap I had I guess.. The local guru (a great shot named Tom Foster, BTW), shot from open carry.
I shot a Stock Glock 23 from a Blade Tech Belt holster. By far, custom (more or less) 1911s were the most popular gun, though I did see a good many Glocks, at least one Sig, and I think a Taurus.

But, my biggest regret was not that I choose to shoot from concealment, as I think that is in the spirit of IDPA, it was that I did not remove my sights before the match. AS you all know, I point shoot.. and I do it fast, maybe not the most accurate guy in the world, but I make up for it in volume of fire and I keep them on the silhouette (mostly ). In IDPA I learned quickly that it gives me a great advantage to be focusing entirely on the target.. I can see when I am not in the "A" zone and shoot pick up shots quickly.. other guys have to shift focus from their sights to the target to try to figure that out. Of course, one guy had to say "Well, you know you are really using your sights, but you don;t know it.."..... Next time, I'll shoot at least one division with a sightless gun, I promise.

The worst part of the day was really that I beat my Obi-Wan, the guy I've been training under and with for several years, who talked me into trying this out in the first place. Of course, he beat me in the Revolver competition, the old man can reload that wheelgun FAST!

So, yes, I think IDPA (with UNlimited vickers Scoring) is much more realistic than any other competition I have ever shot in. I am looking forward to future matches, especially at the Manchester Club, Mikey and his boys put on a great time.
I hope that other TFL members will join me at the Tennessee State Shot, which Mikey's Club is hosting, on October 16th.

------------------
-Essayons

Page generated in 0.03486 seconds with 8 queries