View Single Post
Old October 18, 2013, 02:10 PM   #6
tangolima

Round receiver on flat block is a bit unconventional. But I don't think glass bedding will make the screw stay put either. I agree with the other folks that you should try loctite and see how it turns out. I'd like to suggest a few more things

1. Thoroughly degrease the screw threads, on both sides, before applying loctite. I don't know the exact construction of your rifle's action screws, but spring washers may be an option.

2. Savage's recommendation of 40 in-lb of torque could be too low. Rule of thumb: 40 in-lb for wood stock without bedding, 45-50 in-lb for wood with glass bedding, 50 - 60 in-lb for pillar bedded stocks. Most pillars nowadays are made of Al. The bedding block in your rifle is Al. I'd torque it to at least 50 in-lb.

3. If you ever come to the conclusion that glass bedding is necessary, you can build dam out of modelling clay to control where the compound would go. Epoxy shouldn't have difficult to stick to Al, but you want to degrease and rough up the surfaces to aid adhersion. I like steel putty from Devcon, but you can try their Al putty if you like. I don't think it make a lot of difference.

Hope it helps.

-TL

Page generated in 0.03161 seconds with 8 queries