Thread: rifle powder
View Single Post
Old April 19, 2000, 05:40 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred J. Drumheller:
4350 may be the most versatile powder there is, but if you've an M1 Garand, it's too slow. Nothing slower than 4064 should be used in the Garand or the port pressure will overdrive the action and damage the rifle.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

[/quote]

In one of my old yellow copies (telling my age again ) of cartridges of the world there is a section on US military cartridges and their loads and specifications. For the .30 Caliber almost all of the loads (Ball, AP, API, Match Etc.) are shown using different cannister lots of IMR-4895, varying the weight of the powder of the different lots to acheive a mean average chamber pressure of 50,000 PSI. Now I am not certain if this figure is in corrected PSI or CUP, but I do know that 50 grains of IM-4895 with either M1 Ball, M2 Ball, or the 147 grain Commercial FMJ bullets is a fine safe load in both my Garand and my 03A3 Springfield. Some in many different forums and places have all called IMR-4895 "THE" Garand powder.

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited April 19, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02054 seconds with 8 queries