View Single Post
Old September 7, 2002, 01:49 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

toungun, strange you should ask - - -

Quote:
Can I relate it to loads with the same brass/primer/powder, but a different non-BT spitzer?
Several years ago, my hunting pal Doug Smith placed a good-size order with Midway, which included a bunch of new Winchester '06 brass and about a thousand Remington 165 CoreLokt PSP bullets. I had misgivings about this, as I had agreed to pay half the cost.

I had been using Sierra 165 BTHPs for years, with IMR 4064 powder, and was well satisfied with theie performance in my Ruger 77R. Doug came up with a load of 58.0 gr. of IMR 4350 with the CoreLokts. In a word, the accuracy was outstanding, in both our rifles. The real benefits of a boat tail bullet are not realized until well beyond 300 yards, and the flat based bullets did all asked of them. Our game was almost exclusively Texas White tails and wild hogs, neither of which demanded super custom bullets. The Remington bullets are available tin bulk and are quite reasonably priced.

The only drawback of the FB bullets was that they are a bit more ticklish to load on the Dillon 550. That was another lesson I learned with these bullets. Doug set up the loader for .30-06 and the mass produced cartridges were within under a half-inch of the accuracy of the one-at-a-time items. This was my first experience with thrown rifle powder charges.

Caution - - - As Cain R noted above--Thsi is right at max for 4350 in the '06--and a touch over in some manuals. as always, it is okay in MY rifles--and a couple of others--but might be too hot in YOURS. please, start a bit lower and work up.

Best,
Johnny

Page generated in 0.03211 seconds with 8 queries