Thread: Kodiak Bear
View Single Post
Old December 31, 2013, 02:33 AM   #15
Diecorpse

My way

For me, hunting a big brown bear will be a dream come true. I will carry a 500 S&W and a 12 gauge with high powered slugs and buck shot. I am one of those types who like to be close and personal. To me, it takes more skill to out wit the animals senses and make a clean kill. I have never taken a deer more than 15 yards away. I have shot coyotes less than 40 yards. That's how I like to hunt. I wouldn't bring a rifle unless it was required. The 45-70 has good knock down power and so does the 338. Using the correct bullets will make a difference as well. I wouldn't be worried. As long as a good shot is placed, you will recover your game. Also, more times than not, your guide or buddy will also carry a firearm for protection. Very rare for a hunter shoot a bear, not kill it, and the bear kills the hunter. Usually it's a bear that nobody knows that's around show up with a surprise attack, which usually the hunter and the guide shoot it dead. But the bears do win sometimes. Having a firearm you can shoot effectively and quickly would make sense.

Why a handgun like the 500? If I were to be attacked by a bear, it would be easier to maneuver a hand gun than a long gun. The bear will be biting, slashing, and throwing you around, just shove the muzzle right into the bear and fire until it's dead or your out of bullets. I have done lots of research on bear attacks and the like, and more times than not, the hunter cannot maneuver his long gun around to shoot the attacking bear. I hope it never comes down to this, but it does happen unfortunately. Your biggest life saver in this situation will be another person with a firearm. OK, I'm done going on and on now!!

Last edited by Diecorpse; December 31, 2013 at 02:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.03797 seconds with 8 queries