View Single Post
Old March 25, 2009, 11:45 AM   #130
OuTcAsT

Wow, First let me say that this has been a very interesting and educational thread, and one of the few that I have ever seen go for 6 pages while discussing such a violatile topic that did not turn into a genital waving contest, Good Show Imagine, a cordial, round table discussion between LEOs, Lawyers, and Law abiding citizens about a situation that could happen to anyone, at any time, and some sage advice on how to proceed when it does, absolutely awesome.

This case will play out in court, and I will start another thread when things start to get resolved.

What I have learned:

1. If police show up at your door un-expectedly (unless they have a warrant to serve) then you do, in a broad sense, have some rights. But in the narrow sense those rights are gonna take a back seat until business at hand is complete.

2. Make every attempt to satisfy yourself that they are indeed LE. Either visually, or by calling 911 before you open the door.

3. Make sure the officers are aware that this is what you intend so that they will understand a slight delay while everything is proven kosher.

4. Do not open the door with a weapon in your hand, or even visible for that matter.

5. Cooperate within your miranda rights as fully as possible.

6. If the situation is a mistake, as was the case here, simply cooperate at the scene, and call your lawyer later.

While I am still uncomfortable with the police having such broad latitude, that's the way it is. The safest thing is to play the game by the rules, and litigate the rest later.

I will ask the Moderators to close this for now, as we have seen all there is to see for the moment, and will update when new evidence comes to light.
Thank you all for a great learning experience.

Dan E. Bruner AKA OuTcAsT

P.S. This might make a good sticky in T&T ?

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -

Page generated in 0.02396 seconds with 8 queries